Having lived in Bellingham’s Alabama Hill neighborhood for 30 years and raised my family here, I love this city. I want my children to be able to work and raise their families here, afford to buy a house, and live in a place where they can be proud of who they are.
A guiding principle, instilled in me since childhood, is to give back to my community. I continually ask myself, “How can I help make our community better and what role can I continue to play to be of assistance to the residents of our city. That’s why I’m running for the Bellingham City Council – Ward 4 position.
Bellingham has been and is recognized as a proactive leader in many areas; however, in light of current events we still have our problems. Having spent the majority of my community service career in the nonprofit sector, in these challenging times the issues that have been raised regarding our unhoused neighbors, racial equity, and social justice have inspired me to get more involved at a much deeper level. I believe that we need to:
- Build on our current foundation, continuing to discover workable solutions to the increasing problems of our unhoused community members.
- Further increase the supply of affordable housing while protecting the character and structure of our unique individual neighborhoods.
- Continue supporting the efforts that address institutional racism and other manifestations of implicit bias in our city in order to make it a place where all people can live safely and with pride.
- Proceed with innovative approaches to protecting our environmental quality.
Holding public office in Bellingham would be a privilege and an honor and if elected, I will bring to the City Council:
- A willingness to listen
- The ability to seek out diverse perspectives
- Work collaboratively with members of the Council and other members of the community
- Engage and utilize my skills and experience to help move Bellingham forward into an even better future.
I am deeply appreciative of the encouragement, support, and endorsement of the many community members I’ve consulted about seeking this position and hope that I can earn your vote.